Hearing loss affects millions of Californians. The Hearing Loss Association of America, California State Association (HLAA-CA) provides information, education, support, and advocacy to Californians with hearing loss, their families, and their friends. You can help by joining the HLAA-CA board of trustees team.
HLAA-CA board members are elected at large to represent all members of HLAA in California. This winter, HLAA-CA will have up to five board openings.
Eligible candidates must:
- Be members of the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA). Joining HLAA is easy and offers many benefits.
- Support the goals of the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA): providing information, education, support, and advocacy to people with hearing loss.
- Be willing to serve a full three-year term on the Board of Trustees. You may resign earlier if you wish, but we think you will love the board and stay the full term.
- Attend at least two board meetings per year, normally around February and August, one in Northern California (generally around San Francisco or surrounding areas) and one in Southern California (generally around Los Angeles or surrounding areas). A limited reimbursement is allowed for travel expenses.
- Participate in occasional special meetings conducted via web conferencing.
- Be willing to communicate with the board between meetings via email and vote when required.
- Be willing to volunteer to serve on one or more teams to help people with hearing loss in a field of service of interest to you.
- Have no conflict of interest, such as representing vendors or distributors who provide services or equipment to HLAA-CA.
Nominees must be passionate about hearing loss and helping others and must be team players.
We have teams working on advocacy, fundraising, state conferences, chapter training workshops, exhibiting at various hearing loss and disability conferences and events, board member and volunteer nominations and recruiting, press releases, videos, social media, and more. Ideal nominees have skills and experience in one or more of the following areas: non-profit, hearing loss, marketing, public relations, fundraising, computer/technology, advocacy, social media, volunteering, executive meetings, ability to conduct program and policy evaluations at the state level.
To apply for the Board of Trustees, please send via email:
- A simple, brief cover letter (used by the HLAA-CA nomination committee and board only) answering the following questions (one to few words for each answer or much more if you prefer):
- The number of years you have been a HLAA member
- The number of years of HLAA chapter membership/leadership
- Your hearing loss (if applicable)
- Why you would like to serve on the HLAA-CA Board of Trustees
- Hearing loss issues you are interested in
- Your email address for contact and questions from voters
- A current resume (used by the HLAA-CA nomination committee and board only) ideally showing applicable or relevant experience
- A brief endorsement by your HLAA chapter if you are a member of an HLAA chapter (if not, don’t worry)
- A brief candidate’s statement/autobiography (not more than 250 words) to be used in ballots, which will be sent to HLAA members and published on the HLAA-CA website and newsletter
Please email completed applications to Zina Jawadi, HLAA-CA Nominations Committee Chairperson, at email@example.com, by October 15.
At its discretion, the HLAA-CA nominations committee and/or the HLAA-CA board may accept or reject any applicant’s nomination, based on HLAA-CA’s current needs and requirements and/or based on evaluating the applicant’s qualifications and capabilities.
The HLAA-CA election deadline is January 15, and ballots postmarked up to January 15 will be counted. Election results are announced around February 1.
The new trustee’s term officially begins at the start of the next annual meeting of the board, which is usually around the middle of February.
If you have any question, please contact Zina Jawadi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope to hear from you soon.