Walk4Hearing June 1, 2014
Long Beach Aquarium
Kickoff Event, Saturday, April 5, 2014 at Dave & Buster’s in Irvine
It’s that time of year again! Long Beach Walk4Hearing will take place on Sunday June 1, 2014 at Long Beach Aquarium. Ronnie Adler will be the Walk Chair and Nicole Diaz will be Walk Day Chair. Spread the word! It’s our job to raise awareness about the Walk, encourage our friends, family and co-workers to register and RAISE MONEY!
Since its inception in 2006, the Walk4Hearing has raised more than $6 million and has become the nation’s largest and fastest growing hearing loss fundraising and public awareness Walk in the country. The Long Beach Walk4Hearing is one of 23 events happening across the nation this year. In addition to raising awareness, Walk4Hearing raises funds that are used in local communities – to support communication access with CART, to underwrite scholarships for people with hearing loss, to attend educational programs at our Convention, to support student scholarships for college, to enhance outreach efforts, and to remove the stigma of hearing loss through education, information, support and advocacy.
We have a National fundraising goal this year of $1.4 million and we NEED your help to reach it. Our Long Beach goal is $55,000.
Why do we walk?
- 36 million Americans have some degree of hearing loss
- Hearing loss is a public health issue that is third in line only to heart disease and arthritis
- One in five teens has hearing loss
- 58,000 veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan return with hearing loss
- Among seniors, hearing loss is the third most prevalent, but treatable, condition after arthritis and hypertension
- Baby boomers who reach retirement age in 2010 are pushing the number even higher and are predicted to double it by 2030.
- 30 school-aged children per 1,000 have a hearing loss
Now let’s get started. FIRST, go to www.walk4hearing.org and create your team. Online registration is easy…just follow the steps below:
1. Go to www.walk4hearing.org and select the Walk location where you would like to
participate on the “Find a Walk” page.
2. Once on the specific Walk location page, click the purple Register button.
3. Select how you wish to register (Start a Team, Join a Team, or Walk as an Individual)
4. During the registration process you will be asked if you are a “Returning Walker” or
5. If you have previously participated in a Walk event, then you are a “Returning
Walker” and you can use the username and password from last year and click the
Login button. If you have never participated in a Walk, please select “New
6. Complete the registration process. If you selected “Returning Walker” you will not be
asked to select a username and password. If you are a “New Walker” please complete
the contact information form.
7. Complete your registration.
8. On the “Thank You” page, click on the “Access My Walk Center” link.
9. This will log you into your “Walk Center.”
10. Last year’s address book and donation information is available. In addition, don’t
forget to update your personal page with new content and dates.
It’s time to step up for people with hearing loss. Get your friends, family members and co-workers together and start a Walk team. We need as many teams as possible, so instead of walking for your respective chapter, we suggest that people form their own smaller teams. This helps to raise more money as friends and family are more likely to donate to “Team Mary Jane,” rather than “Team Chapter.” The funds for each team will go to the chapter or association that is designated by that team captain.
Here is a basic breakdown of how the money is split up. National HLAA gets 50% of the gross, 10% goes to local Walk expenses, and 40% goes to the HLAA chapters and alliances.
This is a fun and FREE event to get everyone motivated and fired up about fundraising and participating. It will be held on Saturday, April 5, 2014 at Dave & Buster’s, 71 Fortune Drive #960, Irvine, California 92618-2929 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Space is limited, so please RSVP to Syndi Lyon Rodnsyndi@cox.net.
The Walk will take place on Sunday, June 1, 2014 with check-in/registration at 9 a.m. and the 5K (3.1 miles) Walk beginning at 10 a.m. There will be pre-Walk refreshments, snacks and family friendly entertainment. Walkers will enjoy a stroll along the harbor with views of Shoreline Village, the Queen Mary in the distance and the huge sea life mural on the facade of the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific.
Attention Walkers! Remember to bring your smart phones We will be streaming live CART to web-enabled smart phones. All pre-Walk speeches will be captioned on your iPhone, BlackBerry*, or Droid. So don’t leave your smart phone at home!
Driving Directions to Long Beach Aquarium
Keep in mind that you are going to “Shoreline Village.” Take the 710 south to the city of Long Beach. Go past the 405 (intersects the 710 from both north and south). Proceed on the 710 going south. When you get near Willow Street or Pacific Coast Highway start bearing to the left lane where soon you will see an overhead sign that says “Aquarium”, “Convention Center”. Go past the 6th Street Exit, and keep to the right lane. This lane will take you right onto Shoreline Drive. Stay on Shoreline Drive (go past the Queen Mary exit). Turn right on to Shoreline Village Drive. The Walk4Hearing will be on your left at Marina Green Park.
Interested in volunteering or becoming more involved with the Long Beach walk or have questions, please contact Ronnie Adler, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Come walk with us on Sunday, June 9th and help raise awareness for people with hearing loss!