Walk4Hearing Sunday, October 16, 2016, San Diego at Crown Point in Mission Bay
Sunday, October 16, 2016
Crown Point in Mission Bay
700 Corona Oriente Road
San Diego, CA
9am – Registration/Check-in
10am – Walk begins
Distance: 5K (3.1 miles)
It’s that time of year again! San Diego Walk4Hearing will take place on Sunday, October 16th at Crown Point in Mission Bay. Syndi Lyon and Emma Cobb will be the Walk Chair persons. Spread the word! It’s our job to raise awareness about the Walk, encourage our friends, family and co-workers to register and RAISE MONEY!
Since its inception in 2006, the Walk4Hearing has raised more than $6 million and has become the nation’s largest and fastest growing hearing loss fundraising and public awareness Walk in the country. The San Diego Walk4Hearing is one of 22 events happening across the nation this year. In addition to raising awareness, Walk4Hearing raises funds that are used in local communities – to support communication access with CART, to underwrite scholarships for people with hearing loss, to attend educational programs at our Convention, to support student scholarships for college, to enhance outreach efforts, and to remove the stigma of hearing loss through education, information, support and advocacy.
We have a National fundraising goal this year of $1.4 million and we NEED your help to reach it. Our San Diego goal is $30,000.
Why do we walk?
- 36 million Americans have some degree of hearing loss
- Hearing loss is a public health issue that is third in line only to heart disease and arthritis
- One in five teens has hearing loss
- 58,000 veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan return with hearing loss
- Among seniors, hearing loss is the third most prevalent, but treatable, condition after arthritis and hypertension
- Baby boomers who reach retirement age in 2010 are pushing the number even higher and are predicted to double it by 2030.
- 30 school-aged children per 1,000 have a hearing loss
Registration at 9 a.m. and Walk starts at 10 a.m.
Interested in volunteering or becoming more involved with the San Diego walk or have questions, please contact Syndi Lyon at firstname.lastname@example.org or Emma Cobb at email@example.com. Come walk with us on Sunday, October 16th and help raise awareness for people with hearing loss!